Introduction to CVI
In the ERP area, we are using leading objects, customers and vendors.
20min read on “Customer Vendor Integration”.
- What are the Limitation (Leading objects in ERP)
- Only one single address. Double maintenance.
- No relation between a vendor and customer for the same real-world entity (no role concept)
- No person objects are available. Here we are talking Business partner roles than assigning a contact person to vendor or customer.
- No time-dependency is possible. Something new that’s available on the s/4hana.
- What are the new features (Leading objects in S/4HANA) – Business Partners
- General address shared between the roles
(in ERP you create a customer then you create a vendor, even though they are the same entity you must do it twice and link them. In S4HANA you create the business partner with the address and extend with a customer or vendor-specific role.)
- Business Partner Categories – Organization, Person, Group
- One business partner could perform multiple roles
They are mapped with an account group with the ERP system. There is a config to map all the accounts with the business roles.
- One business partner could have multiple addresses.
- Addresses, bank data, relationships can be maintained time-dependent.
- Relationships between business partners (“is Contact person For”, “Is Service Provider For”, “Is Responsible Employee For”).
- Harmonized architecture: CRM, EWM, PM Business partner already existed. Now SAP wants to use this on all modules
3. Business Partner Concept Usage in ECC:
- Sap Collections Management (FSCM-COL)
- SAP Credit Management (FSCM-CR)
- SAP Treasury and Risk Management (TRM)
- Loan Management (FS-CML)
- In New Strategic Applications:
- Industries: Banking, Public Sector
Customer/Vendor Integration (CVI) component ensures the synchronization between the Business Partner object and the customer/vendor objects.
One legal entity is represented by one business partner. One unique BP number for different roles:
- Customer roles
- Vendor roles
- Credit and collection management roles
- Treasury roles
Different Business Partner Categories:
Maximal data sharing and reuse of data which leads to easier data consolidation.
General data available for all different business partner roles, specific data is stored per each role.
A flexible Business Partner Relationship is possible.
Business Partner Master Data
Business Partner creation is the first step in the creation of Customers and Suppliers.
Technically, the Customer-Vendor-Integration takes care of the general Business Partner data as well as the Customer and Supplier specific data.
Partially, the data of the business partner and Customer/ Supplier are redundant to provide consistent process information for all ERP applications which do not use BP.
While saving all Business Partner and Customer/Supplier data are updated.
Distribution of Business Partner is provided by Idocs/SOA services using data replication framework (DRF). In S4HANA Application Tables on Customer/ Vendor types remain on
When creating a sales order you will enter the customer and the customer number comes from the table KNA1. (Account group – KTOKD)
The same goes for the purchase order.
For both KNA1 and LFA1 tables, the data will be populated from the BP transaction via BUT000 and corresponding CVI tables.
The difference between ECC and S/4HANA in terms of Customer Master and BP.
Architecture is not dramatically changed. All the tables are still in place. BP transaction will help populate the data onto all the tables.
Simplified Business Partner Data Model
From the data perspective, an Important attribute of business partners can be seen. Central data, roles, bank details, identification number, tax number, industry sections, Relationships, Address, ERP Vendors, ERP Customers on BUT000 table.
Through CVI, Business Partner will communicate towards the Supplier/ Customer tables. Within you can see the Address table. (IDRC table)
This means you create a business partner, you populate with BP specific data, through the interface the data is going to be sent to General data LSA1 table, company code data LSB1 table and purchasing org. data LSM1 table. The moment you save the Business Partner, you will have data in BP specific data but also sent to these relevant tables too.
CVI Business Impact and Approach
BP is a Mandatory object in order to move to S/4HANA.
- When conversion it has a separate check when it’s checking all the entities from KNA1, LSA1 and KNVK tables are having corresponding entries in the BUT000 table. This can be achieved through CVI.
- In S/4HANA, BP will be the only way to create, change and display customer, vendor, and contact person area.
- CVI will ensure all the data will be transferred to master data tables.
With S/4HANA, a business partner is mandatory for every customer/ vendor. Therefore, customer or vendor master has to be maintained as a business partner and the following transactions could no longer be used:
Customer/ Vendor Functionality are taken over to the Business partner transaction
Order to Cash
- SD Partner Functions can be still used and is part of the BP transaction.
- The customer account group can be changed in the business partner transaction.
S/4 Prospect to customer
- Create BP with role prospect (BUP002) – No KNA1 created..
- Change role from prospect to the customer (E.g. FLCU01) – KNA1 will be created as per customizing.
- ERP available hierarchies can be used in S4.
- Customer Hierarchy
- Vendor Hierarchy
- Mass Transaction (XD99, XK99 and MASS)
- Mass maintenance Fiori App – Customer / Supplier Master Mass Maintenance
CVI Process and How to Convert
How can we convert to S/4HANA?
There are 2 possible scenarios
1st Scenario is a Greenfield Implementation using Migration Cockpit, no CVI needed to upload data S4HANA from LEGACY
Upload the BP in the background the Customer Vendors and contact person tables are going to be populated with data and the master data is going to be created.
2nd Scenario: ECC to S/4HANA Conversion
We must do the CVI as explained in the first part of the diagram. Customer, vendor and contact person and you have to convert them to BP to move towards the Conversion process.
Related Article “CVI Conversion”: thedesigne.com/cvi_conversion/